Haiti's Barbancourt is one of the few challengers, in my view, to the rums of the Spanish-speaking Caribbean basin. It is smooth and syrupy, a wonderful all-around sipper. It can be spicy, with hints of vanilla and ginger, and even a bit citrusy. I have had the bottles aged 4 years, 8 years, and 15 years, and each is a high quality option, though I've neglected the silver variety, the only one really meant for mixing. Most bottles have a higher alcohol content, but I don't find that there's any extra kick. I can't promise you'll find this bottle everywhere, but particularly at upscale stores it's a must. It is also interesting to note that Barbancourt was found in the latter half of the 19th Century, long after the Haitian revolution that eradicated slavery from the country.
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Rhum Barbancourt - Haiti - A
Haiti's Barbancourt is one of the few challengers, in my view, to the rums of the Spanish-speaking Caribbean basin. It is smooth and syrupy, a wonderful all-around sipper. It can be spicy, with hints of vanilla and ginger, and even a bit citrusy. I have had the bottles aged 4 years, 8 years, and 15 years, and each is a high quality option, though I've neglected the silver variety, the only one really meant for mixing. Most bottles have a higher alcohol content, but I don't find that there's any extra kick. I can't promise you'll find this bottle everywhere, but particularly at upscale stores it's a must. It is also interesting to note that Barbancourt was found in the latter half of the 19th Century, long after the Haitian revolution that eradicated slavery from the country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment