The $700 Billion economic bail out bill that seeks to socialize debts and aid banks and bring about more consolidation, apparently might cheapen your rum. That's right, tacked on to the bill that passed the Senate was a tax break for rums from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. That means we're talking cheaper shit like terrorist Bacardi, Captain Morgan, and Palo Viejo (read reviews on this site), but also of rums like Cruzan.
The Virgin Islands' non-voting Congressional representative and industry lobbyists claim this tax break is nothing new, but actually a ninety year old tax break that expired at the end of last year. The cost in revenues to the federal government is estimated at US$192 million over 10 years.
Now, at first I heard this and decided I had to suddenly support the terrible bail-out bill. Hey, cheaper rum. But realizing what kinds of rum meant I have to go against, because it means these transnationals and tourist rums have better prices than the superior brands that I have reviewed on this blog, like Appleton Estate and Mount Gay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment