Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Barrilito - Puerto Rico - B

I had quite an argument with an ex who insisted this was some of the worst rum they had ever tasted. And that's after dating me, which garnered them over thirty rum brands' flavors to their palate. They insisted it tasted like lighter fluid. I don't agree.

No, Barrilito, which some Boricuas consider to be the pride of their island, is not the best of rums. It can't compare to the neighbors of Cuba, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic. It has a bit of a harsh taste that compares unfavorably to plenty of other rums that it tries to competes with.

Nevertheless, I can drink this one straight with nary a wince. Perhaps you might not be so interested, but Barrilito still holds up as a mixing rum. Try it for yourself, perhaps without the preconceived notions I've offered you. But, for sure, not every island has a viable claim to the best rum in the world.

No comments: